Submit or Track your Manuscript LOG-IN

Prevalence of Hepatitis B and C Infections in District Swabi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan

Prevalence of Hepatitis B and C Infections in District Swabi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan

Muhammad1, Saadat Mehmood1,2, Atif Muhammad1*, Zaib Ullah3

1Department of Microbiology, University of Swabi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
2Center of Biotechnology and Microbiology, University of Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa , Pakistan
3Department of Zoology, Hazara University Sub-Campus Battagram Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Pakistan
 
Corresponding author email: Atif Muhammad
atifmuhammad344@gmail.com

ABSTRACT

Abstract | The liver diseases like cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma are mainly caused by the Hepatitis B and hepatitis C viruses. The present study is designed to assess the frequency and transmission of (HBV) and (HCV) among the local population of district Swabi. A preliminary study was conducted from 1st January to 31st May 2016. The study revealed that the ratio of Hepatitis B and C in the local population was found 103 (34 %) and 199 (66 %) respectively. Out of 143 males, 37 (26 %) were infected by HBV while the remaining 106 (74%) were infected by HCV. 66 (42%), out of 159 infected females were infected by HBV while the remaining 93 (58%) were infected by HCV. In the local population, the transfusion of blood from an infected person and unhygienic practices during surgery and medical treatment are the main causes of hepatitis. It is suggested to implement high care on the occasion of surgery, injection, and blood transfusion. Furthermore, awareness campaigns regarding blood transmission and health hazards of Hepatitis should be launched for the population. 
 
Novelty Statement | The study indicates first observations of Hepatitis B and C infections from District Swabi. It represented that the rate of disease is quite high in the district and proper control is required for the prevention.
 

To share on other social networks, click on any share button. What are these?

Pakistan Journal of Zoology

August

Vol. 54, Iss. 4, Pages 1501-2001

Featuring

Click here for more

Subscribe Today

Receive free updates on new articles, opportunities and benefits


Subscribe Unsubscribe