Submit or Track your Manuscript LOG-IN

Supplementation of Soy Based Feed with Linseed and its Effects on Growth and Fatty Acid Profile in Grass Carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella)

Supplementation of Soy Based Feed with Linseed and its Effects on Growth and Fatty Acid Profile in Grass Carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella)

Shafaq Fatima1,*, Farkhanda Manzoor1, Humaira Amman1, Zakia Kanwal1, Asma Latif1, Zeeshan Ali2, Hamid Iqbal Gondal2, Sumera Sajjad1 and Raja Shahnawaz Janjua3

1Department of Zoology, Lahore College for Women University, Lahore
2Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Lahore 
3SoyPak, Pvt. Ltd.

*      Corresponding author: shafaq.fatima@y7mail.com

ABSTRACT

Linseed is an economically important plant source of n-3 polyunsaturated alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which can be used as supplemental dietary lipid in fish feed particularly carps. In developing countries where fish oil is not an ingredient of fish feed due to its high cost, the addition of economical plant oils rich in n-3 PUFA in fish diet can remarkably improve its quality. The present study evaluated the effect of the addition of linseed in fish feed on growth and fatty acids profile in grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella); an important commercial carp in Asia. The present study investigated the effects of three different diets (A, 5% linseed flour; B, 5 % LO; C, 2.5 % linseed flour + 2.5% LO) on growth and fatty acids profile (C12:0– C22:6) in grass carp (age = 12 months). The trial continued for 31 days at ambient temperature. The control group was fed with soybean based commercial diet. No significant effect of diet A and C was observed on fish growth and profile of n-3 and n-6 PUFA in total liver lipids. However, the treatment group fed with diet B showed a significant increase in K (1.75 ± 0.14 %), FCR (0.97) and HSI (0.62 ± 0.1%) as compared to those in the control group. A high profile of DHA (C22:6) was observed in total liver lipids of fish in all three treatments groups (A: 0.31%, B: 0.41%, C: 0.40%) in comparison to the control group where DHA was not observed in the fatty acids profile. Similarly, high profiles of EPA (C20:5) were observed in all three treatment groups (A: 0.56%, B: 1.64%, C: 1.35%) as compared to those in control group. Therefore, the present study indicates that linseed can be a suitable source of n-3 and n-6 PUFA in carp feed, improving the condition and flesh quality of fish.
 

To share on other social networks, click on any share button. What are these?

Pakistan Journal of Zoology

August

Vol. 53, Iss. 4, Pages 1201-1601

Featuring

Click here for more

Subscribe Today

Receive free updates on new articles, opportunities and benefits


Subscribe Unsubscribe