Advances in Animal and Veterinary Sciences

Research Article
Adv. Anim. Vet. Sci. 3 (1S): 16 -21. Special Issue-1 (Biotechnological and molecular approaches for diagnosis, prevention and control of infectious diseases of animals)

Predominance of G10 Genotype of Rotavirus in Diarrheic Buffalo Calves: A Potential Threat for Animal to Human Zoonotic Transmission

Prasad Minakshi1*, Koushlesh Ranjan2, Neelam Pandey1, Swati Dahiya3, Sandip Khurana4, Neha Bhardwaj5, Sanjeev Bhardwaj5, Gaya Prasad6

1Department of Animal Biotechnology, LLR University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Hisar, Haryana, 125004; 2Department of Veterinary Physiology and Biochemistry, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel University of Agriculture and Technology, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, 250110; 3Department of Veterinary Microbiology, LLR University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Hisar, Haryana, 125004; 4Department National Research centre on Equines, Sirsa road, Hisar, Haryana, 125001; 5Agrionics, CSIR-Central Scientific Instruments Organisation, Chandigarh-160030; 6Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi, India.

*Correspondence | Minakshi Prasad, Lala lajpat Rai University of Vetrinary and Animal Sciences, Hisar, Haryana, India; Email:

Gastroenteritis among young dairy calves is predominantly caused by group A rotaviruses (RVA), which leads to calf mortality and significant economic losses to dairy farmers. Huge genetic and antigenic diversity exists amongst different RVA isolates due to segmented nature of the dsRNA genome and diverse host range. The RNAPAGE analysis of 11 diarrheic fecal samples of buffalo calves from organized dairy farm in Hisar region showed presence of RVA. The VP7 (G type) and VP4 (P type) gene based genotyping of all the sample was carried out by semi nested multiplex RT-PCR. All the samples yielded expected product of 864 bp for VP4 and 1013 bp for VP7 genes, respectively, using generic primers. Nine of 11 (81.81%) samples were categorized as P[11] exhibiting 332 bp product whilst two samples remained un-typed by semi-nested multiplex PCR using cocktail of genotype specific primers for P[1], P[5] and P[11] targeting VP4 gene. The G genotyping of VP7 genes yielded 644 bp products in 8 (72.72%) and were categorized as G10. The remaining 3 (27.27%) samples yielded 288 bp products specific for G6 genotypes. The P genotype for two of the G6 genotypes remained unknown by semi nested multiplex RT-PCR. The 8 (72.72%) isolates with G10 genotype were classified to bear G10 P[11], where, as only one G6 genotyped sample was determined to have G6 P[11] genotype combination. Recently, increasing incidences of involvement of animal rotavirus with G10 specificity in human’s gastroenteritis poses a serious threat of zoonotic transmission of this virus. Hence presence of G10 type in humans is of great concern and widespread surveillance for animal and human rotaviruses is needed to determine the diversity of rotaviruses circulating in various parts of India before adopting any immunization programs.

Keywords | Buffalo rotavirus, Genotype G6, G10, P genotype, RT-PCR, Zoonotic potential

Pakistan Journal of Zoology


Pakistan J. Zool., Vol. 55, Iss. 5, pp. 2001-2500


Click here for more

Subscribe Today

Receive free updates on new articles, opportunities and benefits

Subscribe Unsubscribe