Submit or Track your Manuscript LOG-IN

Evaluation of Genetic Diversity in Maintainer and Restorer Inbreds of Helianthus annus L. using Multivariate Techniques

Evaluation of Genetic Diversity in Maintainer and Restorer Inbreds of Helianthus annus L. using Multivariate Techniques

Hafiz Basheer Ahmad1*, Sajida Habib2, Waqas Shafqat Chattha3, Rizwana Qamar2, Shazia Saeed2, Abdul Khaliq1 and Salsabeel Rauf2

1Sugarcane Research Institute, Faisalabad, Pakistan; 2Oilseed Research Institute, Faisalabad, Pakistan; 3Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics, the Islamia University of Bahawalpur, Pakistan.

 
*Correspondence | Hafiz Basheer Ahmad, Sugarcane Research Institute, Faisalabad, Pakistan; Email: easahafiz@yahoo.com 

ABSTRACT

Genetic diversity in Maintainer (B-line) and Restore (R-Lines) is a corner stone for the development of sunflower hybrid varieties. Seventy-seven of each, maintainer and restorer lines were sown in field and data were analyzed by using multivariate analysis. The results revealed that the mean values of all traits except for days to 50% flowering of maintainer lines were higher than restorer lines. The principal component analysis for B-lines showed that first eigen value equals 2.77 and represented 39.57 % of the total variability while second eigenvalue equals 1.24 and showed 17.76% of the total variability. The first two factors showed 57.34% of the initial variability. The principal component analysis for R-lines showed that the first eigenvalue equals 3.73 and represented 53.21% of the total variability while second eigenvalue equals 1.34 and showed 19.08% of the total variability. The first two factors showed 72.30 % of the total variability. Maximum inter-cluster distances were noted between cluster 2 and cluster 5 (51.221) for B-lines, and between cluster 3 and cluster 7 for R-lines (89.57). Considering inter-cluster distance within/between the lines and other agronomic traits, A/B and R-lines can be crossed to get maximum heterosis during hybrid development program.

 

To share on other social networks, click on any share button. What are these?

Pakistan Journal of Zoology

August

Vol. 53, Iss. 4, Pages 1201-1601

Featuring

Click here for more

Subscribe Today

Receive free updates on new articles, opportunities and benefits


Subscribe Unsubscribe