Submit or Track your Manuscript LOG-IN

Trade Potential Evaluation of Indigenous and Exotic Mango Genotypes Through Physico-chemical and Sensory Attributes

Trade Potential Evaluation of Indigenous and Exotic Mango Genotypes Through Physico-chemical and Sensory Attributes

Irfan Ali Sabir1, Saeed Ahmad1*, Muhammad Nafees2, Ahmad Sattar Khan1, Maryam3 and Ishtiaq Ahmad

1Pomology Laboratory, Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture Faisalabad (38040), Pakistan; 2Department of Horticultural Sciences, University College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, The Islamia University of Bahawalpur, Bahawalpur, (63100), Pakistan; 3Faculty of Science, Department of Botany, Government Sadiq College Women University Bahawalpur, (63100), Pakistan.

sandhu100hasan@yahoo.com 

ABSTRACT

Despite the immense market and growing demand of Pakistani mango, there has been a rapid decrease in the production and export of mango in the last few years. Low yield and poor quality are considered the major limiting factors in export. Therefore, some high yielding good quality exotic mango cultivars were acclimatized in the country and a comprehensive research studies were executed to investigate the yield potential, fruit physico-chemical characters and sensorial aspects. Diverse seventeen commercial and noncommercial indigenous and exotic mango varieties were selected to collect and analyze fruit morphological data under randomized complete block design (RCBD). There was significantly high fruit weight and pulp contents in ‘Kensington Pride’. Total soluble solids (TSS) were higher (21.9 B°) in ‘Chaunsa’, while, titratable acidity (TA) was lowest in ‘Lambay Alfansu’ and ‘Momi-K’. However, reducing sugars (RS) (4.83%), non-reducing sugars (NRS) (16.38%) and total sugars (TS) (21.21%) were significantly high in ‘Surkha Burma’. Ascorbic acid contents (AA) were high in ‘Momi-K’, whereas, total antioxidants (0.68 mM Trolox g-1), total carotenoids (TC) (52.0 µg 100-1) and flavonoids (1.79 µg 100-1) were significantly high in ‘Faisalabad Selection’. Faisalabad Selection and ‘Surkha Burma’ exhibited high score for taste, flavor, texture, aroma and pulp color compared to other indigenous and exotic varieties. It is concluded that ‘Faisalabad Selection’, ‘Surkha Burma’ and ‘Kensington Pride’ among indigenous and exotic varieties, respectively, had potential in commercial trading and can expend the supply window of mango. 

 

To share on other social networks, click on P-share. What are these?

Sarhad Journal of Agriculture

September

Vol. 34, Iss. 3, Pages 494-711

Featuring

Click here for more

Subscribe Today

Receive free updates on new articles, opportunities and benefits


Subscribe Unsubscribe