Submit or Track your Manuscript LOG-IN

Resource Use Efficiency in Dates Production in Sindh Pakistan

Resource Use Efficiency in Dates Production in Sindh Pakistan

Waqar Akhtar1*, Munir Ahmad2, Nadeem Akmal1, Hassnain Shah1 and Asif Ali Mirani2 

1Social Sciences Research Institute, National Agriculture Research Center (NARC), Pakistan; 2Agricultural Engineering Division, Pakistan Agriculture Research Center (PARC), Pakistan.

viqars71@gmail.com 

ABSTRACT

This paper investigates resource use efficiency in dates production at three farm size levels by using primary and secondary data for the year 2015-16 by employing Policy Analysis Matrix (PAM) methodology. Relevant indicators were employed to gauge and compare resource use efficiency of two dates products (fresh dates and dried dates) produced by farmers. The finding of positive Private Profitability and Private Cost Ratio (PCR) value less than 1 argues farm level competitiveness under small, medium and large farms in the study area. Fresh Dates has more competitiveness with less PCR value 0.62 compared to dry dates with PCR value 0.75.There is also influence of farm size on cost efficiency and competitiveness level. Domestic Resource Cost (DRC) ratio less than unity reveled overall resource use efficiency in dates production, however fresh dates (0.39) had more comparative advantage as compare to dried dates with DRC value (0.72). The measures of protection showed that there was more dis-protection for fresh dates as compared to dried dates. Despite more resource use efficiency in the fresh dates only 16 percent produce was processed as fresh dates remaining 84 percent produce was converted into dried dates. This finding implicates that the overall dates production system secure low domestic resource use efficiency in the production of dates in the study area. Lack of modern processing and value addition technologies there is overwhelming dependence on traditional sun drying methods for processing of dates remained main source of low resource use efficiency of the system. Policy interventions needed to enhance the resource use efficiency in the production and processing of dates in study area through investment in research and development for processing and value addition technologies. 

 

To share on other social networks, click on P-share. What are these?

Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Research

September

Vol. 32, Iss. 3, Pages 416-561

Featuring

Click here for more

Subscribe Today

Receive free updates on new articles, opportunities and benefits


Subscribe Unsubscribe