Submit or Track your Manuscript LOG-IN

Occurrence of Leptospira Species from Pigs in Selected Local Government Areas of Kaduna State, Nigeria

Occurrence of Leptospira Species from Pigs in Selected Local Government Areas of Kaduna State, Nigeria

Bridget Adah1*, Clara Kwanashie2, Haruna Kazeem2 and Samuel Mailafia1

1University of Abuja, Nigeria; 2Ahmadu bello university, Zaria, Nigeria.

 
*Correspondence | Bridget Adah, University of Abuja, Nigeria; Email: bridget.adah@uniabuja.edu.ng

ABSTRACT

The paucity of information on the occurrence of porcine leptospirosis in Kaduna State, Nigeria predicated this study. The research was conducted to isolate Leptospira species from pigs. The organisms were isolated using Ellinghausen-McCullough-Johnson-Harris (EMJH) enrichment and basal medium, and identified using dark field microscopy. A total of two hundred (200) blood samples and two hundred (200) urine samples each were collected from pigs in Kaduna state, Nigeria. A total of 9 (4.5%) of the cultured samples were positive for the Leptospira organisms and % isolation from blood sample was 7 (3.5%), while 2 (1%) came from urine samples. Our results demonstrated that the total prevalence of Leptospira organisms in pigs in these areas was 4.5%. Considering the economic and zoonotic significance of this organism, we recommend that proper handling of pork and associated by products, as well as occupationally predisposed personnel should be of great importance especially pig farmers and veterinarians. The findings of this study indicates the need for further research to illuminate predisposing factors, patterns of distribution and clinical manifestation of leptospirosis in porcine inhabitants in different regions in Nigeria.

 

To share on other social networks, click on any share button. What are these?

Pakistan Journal of Zoology

August

Vol. 54, Iss. 4, Pages 1501-2001

Featuring

Click here for more

Subscribe Today

Receive free updates on new articles, opportunities and benefits


Subscribe Unsubscribe